Breakfast: Harvest Fruit Compote with Yogurt
Lunch: Green Chili Burritos or Dinner Leftovers + apples, grapes, pears, honeydew
Dinner: Dijon Chicken Kabobs, Ribs with Plum Sauce, or Oven Swiss Steak, rice or potatoes, turnips, corn, beets, radicchio
Dessert: Raw Berry Blueberry Pie & Pudding
Oven Swiss Steak
Trim 2 lbs of boneless round steak. Cut into serving-size pieces. Place in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of pepper. Top with a thinly sliced onion, a drained can of mushroom stems and pieces, and a can of no-salt-added tomato sauce.
Cover and bake for 1 3/4 – 2 hours. Serve over noodles.
Green Chili Burritos
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain 1/2 lb of ground beef. Shred 4 oz of sharp cheddar cheese to make 1 cup. Spread a can of refried beans over 8 flour tortillas. Top each with beef and 2 Tbsp of cheese. Fold ends and sides over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle with a can of chopped green chilies and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Raw Berry Blueberry Pudding & Pie
I usually double the recipe, put half in a pie crust and eat the other half as a breakfast pudding. So good – enjoy!
Heat 1/2 cup of water until it just comes to a simmer. Remove it from the heat and add 3 Tbsp of chia seeds. Stir quickly as the mixture becomes gelled. If the mixture is too stiff stir in up to 2 tablespoons additional water until it is pourable. Add 1/4 cup of agave nectar (or sweetener of your choice) to the chia mixture and stir until combined. Add chia mixture to your blender. Cut the tops off of 1 quart of strawberries. Add strawberries & 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. Start the blender off on 1 (or low) and slowly bring up to 10 (or high) and process for 1-2 minutes until mixture is completely smooth and blended. If making a pie, pour mixture into your prepared pie crust. If making pudding, pour into a bowl. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, though more is better. Cut into slices and serve.
Harvest Fruit Compote
- Prep the fruit: Peel the skin off 6 apples, core, and cut into bite sized pieces. Larger pieces will stay firmer whereas smaller pieces will become softer. Cut 3 nectarines and 2 plums into comparably-sized pieces. It’s fine to leave the skin on. Remove the leaf from the top of 10 strawberries and slice in half.
- In a large pot with a heavy bottom and solid cover, layer the fruit — apples on the bottom, then the nectarines, then the plums.
- Zest about half of an orange over the fruit. Squeeze 1/4 of a lemon over the top.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and cover. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, uncover and stir, evenly distributing the fruit. The compote is done cooking when the apples have softened just to the point that they can easily be broken in half with a spoon but aren’t total mush.
- Add the sliced strawberries to the top of the pot and cover. Turn down to low heat for one minute, then turn off the heat and let sit.
- Serve hot or chilled. Works well over yogurt, ice cream, or all by itself. Will last about a week if properly refrigerated. Wait for the compote to cool to room temperature before storing in the fridge.
Ribs with Plum Sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut 5-6 lbs of pork spare ribs into serving-size pieces. Place with bone side down on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Drain.
Combine 3/4 cup of soy sauce, 3/4 cup of plum jam or apricot preserves, 3/4 cup of honey, and 3 minced garlic cloves. Brush some of the sauce over ribs. Bake at 350 degrees or grill over medium heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes, brushing occasionally with sauce.
Dijon Chicken Kabobs
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine 1/2 cup of Dijon mustard and 1 Tbsp of finely chopped green onion in a bowl. Combine 2 cups of fresh bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of minced fresh parsley in another bowl. Cut 1 1/4 lbs of chicken breasts into 3/4 inch chunks. Toss chicken pieces in mustard mix and then coat evenly with crumb mixture. Line a baking sheet with foil. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Thread chicken pieces onto metal or soaked wooden skewers, leaving a small space between chunks. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Baked, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes.
Yogurt (Greek preferably)
Sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Fresh bread crumbs
8 6″ flour tortillas
12 apples (at least 6 of them should be semi-sweet, like Golden Delicious or Fuji)
2 packages or strawberries (at least 3o)
Corn (fresh or frozen)
2 lbs boneless round steak
1/2 lb ground beef
5-6 lbs pork spareribs
1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Plum jam (or apricot preserves)
Can of refried beans (16 oz)
Can of chopped green chilies (4.5 oz)
Can of mushrooms stems & pieces (4 oz)
Can of no-salt-added tomato sauce (8 oz)
[Also needed: Dijon mustard, soy sauce, honey, garlic, pepper]