Breakfast: Croissant or Danish
Lunch: Leftovers + pomegranate, raspberries, apple, grapes
Dinner: Garlic Rosemary Turkey, Pesto Turkey Penne, Mock Lobster with mac n cheese and coleslaw, Pork Roast, rice or potatoes, tomatoes, squash, black salsify
Flourless Honey-Almond Cake
- Take 4 eggs out of the fridge 15 minutes before starting recipe or submerge them in lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- Toast 1 1/2 cups of whole almonds. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes, stirring once.
- Process almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground.
- Separate the eggs with the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
- Beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp of vanilla, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, and 1/2 tsp of salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
- Beat egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. To serve, drizzle the top of the cake with 2 Tbsp of honey and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of toasted sliced almonds. (To toast sliced almonds, cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 2-4 minutes.)
Tomato-Mustard Pork Roast
Cut a 3 lb boneless pork roast in half. Place in a slow cooker. Combine 1 can of tomato sauce, 3/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 2 tsp of ground mustard. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices and thicken for gravy.
Cut 1 1/2 – 2 lb of partially thawed cod/haddock fillets into 2″ x 2″ pieces. Place in a skillet. Cover with water. Add 1 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of seafood seasoning and 1 tsp of paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain.
Cover with cold water. Add 3 Tbsp of vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain. Serve with melted butter, seafood sauce, macaroni ‘n’ cheese, and coleslaw.
Garlic Rosemary Turkey
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 6-8 small slits in the skin of a whole 12 lb turkey. Insert 6-8 whole garlic cloves between skin and meat. Cut two lemons in half and squeeze two halves inside the turkey and leave them inside. Squeeze remaining lemon over outside of turkey. Spray the turkey with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tsp of dried crushed rosemary and 1 tsp of rubbed sage.
Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Cover and bake 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 hours. Serve with gravy.
Save 2 cups of cooked turkey for the recipe below.
Cook 8 oz of penne pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, whisk together an envelope of pesto sauce mix, 3/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of olive oil, in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups of cooked cubed turkey (or chicken). Heat through. Drain pasta. Add to the sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Croissants (I like chocolate ones best!)
Danishes (I like apple ones best!)
Coleslaw package and dressing
3 tomatoes (try yellow ones for a change)
2 yellow squashes, depending on the season
6 black salsify
3 lb boneless pork roast
2 lb whole turkey
1 1/2 – 2 lbs of fresh or frozen cod or haddock fillets
Can of tomato sauce (8 oz)
Penne pasta (8 oz)
Macaroni ‘n’ cheese (like Kraft Dinner)
Envelope of pesto sauce mix
Envelope of gravy mix
Semi-sweet chocolate (4 oz)
Dried tart cherries
[Also needed: (whole) milk, olive oil, salt, (salted) butter, vinegar, paprika, honey, vanilla, baking soda, sliced almonds, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, ground mustard, cream of tartar]