Lunch: Taco Dogs + pears, rhubarb, strawberries, watermelon
Dinner: Sweet ‘n’ Sour Chicken, Golden Game Hens, Mexicali Pork Chops, rice or potatoes, eggplant, endive, asparagus
Spicy Cherry Chocolate Souffles
- In a small pot, bring 3/4 cup of dried tart cherries and 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Blend until smooth in a blender and return to low heat. Stir in 2 Tbsp of coconut sugar, 3/4 tsp of freshly ground grains of paradise, and 1 1/2 Tbsp of coconut or regular rum, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter four ramekins. Tap a small amount of granulated sugar into each ramekin, and gently shake so that the sugar coats all edges. Tap out extra sugar.
- In a double boiler, melt 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, 2 tsp of salted butter, and 3 Tbsp of whole milk over gently simmering water, stirring constantly. When smooth, remove from heat and quickly whisk in 2 egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 egg whites and 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add 2 Tbsp of coconut sugar, beating all the while. Beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in two batches. Gently spoon batter into each of the ramekins, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 16 minutes. When they are done they will have risen to the edge of the ramekin or above it, the tops will be beginning to crack, and the centers will still be very moist. Serve warm with cooled cherry sauce and fresh whipped cream.
Mexicali Pork Chops
Rub an envelope of taco seasoning over 4 boneless pork loin chops. Cook chops in 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat about 9 minutes. Serve with salsa.
Golden Game Hens
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Loosely stuff 6 Cornish game hens with a sliced tart apple and a sliced onion. Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Combine 1/4 cup of melted butter and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Brush over hens.
Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, basting occasionally.
Sweet n Sour Chicken Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions. Cook and cube two chicken breasts. Combine 2 cups of chicken, a drained can of unsweetened pineapple chunks, a jar of apricot preserves or spreadable fruit, a can of cream of chicken soup, and a drained can of water chestnuts in a bowl. Transfer to a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
Prepare a 1 lb package of hot dogs according to package directions. Place a slice of process American cheese and a hot dog in a taco shell. Top each taco with 3 Tbsp of warmed baked beans.
Process American cheese slices (like Kraft singles)
3 endives (purple if you can find it)
Apple (Pick a tart variety)
4 boneless pork loin chops
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
6 Cornish game hams (20 oz ea)
Can of baked beans
Can of unsweetened pineapple chunks (20 oz)
Can of condensed cream of chicken soup (11 oz)
Can of water chestnuts (8 oz)
Jar of apricot preserves or spreadable fruit (12 oz)
Grains of paradise
Envelope of taco seasoning
Dried tart cherries
Hard taco shells
Coconut rum or regular rum
[Also needed: dried tart cherries, butter, soy sauce, vegetable oil, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, olive or canola oil, milk or buttermilk, icing sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, almonds or almond meal]