Heavy whipping cream
Parmesan cheese (shredded is best)
Package of cheese tortellini (19 oz) – I use fresh, but frozen would work too. Just make sure to follow the instructions listed.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg. Heat through but DO NOT BOIL. Stir in 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the cheese sauce and toss to coat. It’s better fresh – leftovers don’t taste quite as good with this one.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Place zucchini in a skillet and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook about 12-14 minutes. Drain. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of dill weed, salt, and pepper.
Great side dish to chicken!
1 lb fresh mushrooms (white or brown ones will work fine, but my grocery store sometimes offers a 1 lb package of “exotic” mushrooms and includes a little bit of portobello, oyster, shimeji, chanterelle, shiitake, cremini, etc and it’s even more delicious!)
- Slice mushrooms so all pieces are relatively the same size.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice,and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce. Saute for 6-8 minutes.
Sautéing is a great way to prepare mushrooms because it concentrates and accentuates the flavor. Make sure pan and butter are hot, but don’t burn it. And use a large skillet to avoid overcrowding the mushrooms. They exude a lot of moisture as they cook so if there are too many in the skillet they will steam rather than sauté. Plus, you need to be able to stir them around in the pan to avoid steaming AND burning.
Finely chop 3 Tbsp of green pepper and 2 Tbsp of onion.
Mince 2 Tbsp of fresh parsley.
Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, green pepper, onion, parsley, and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Great on salad or as a veggie dip!
2 celery ribs
2 garlic cloves
*Either 1 can of pitted ripe ones and 1 jar of stuffed ones or get a variety from the deli section of the grocery store. My favorite combination is to get a combination of black olives, green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and green olives stuffed with jalapenos. Olives stuffed with garlic are good too, but since there is already garlic in this recipe, I usually go with something else. You will need 11 oz of olives total.
- Drain and chop the olives.
- Chop the celery
- Mince the garlic cloves
- Combine olives, celery, and garlic in a bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Combine 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil, and 2 Tbsp of honey in a small bowl. Mix well. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and cool. Slice enough strawberries for 2 cups. Arrange asparagus and strawberries on individual plates. Drizzle with dressing. In other words, keep the dressing separate from the salad until ready to consume.
Pineapple – canned chunks or fresh, depending on price, availability, and time restraints
Honey mustard salad dressing
Slice the bananas. Halve 1 cup of grapes.
Combine bananas, 1 cup of pineapple chunks, and grapes in a bowl. Add 3 Tbsp of honey mustard salad dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Head of cabbage
Shred cabbage. To shred by hand, cut into wedges, place cut side down on a cutting board, and cut into thin slices with a large sharp knife. For the crispiest coleslaw, shred cabbage and then immerse in ice water for an hour. Drain and blot dry. Refrigerate in a plastic bag until ready to use.
Combine shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1/3 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon.
2 cans of black beans
Rinse and drain black beans. Mince 2 Tbsp of fresh parsley. Combine everything in a bowl. Chill for 15 minutes.
I serve this as a side dish to pork fajitas or chicken and rice.
Italian salad dressing
Peel and slice avocados. Cut tomatoes and onion into wedges. Combine avocados, tomatoes, and onion in a bowl. Add 1 cup of Italian salad dressing and stir to coat. Chill for 20-30 minutes. Serve over lettuce.