Crab and Pea Salad
- 10 oz package of frozen peas (Thaw before starting the recipe)
- 8 oz package of imitation crab
- 8 bacon strips
- Onion powder
- 3 eggs
- Hard boil eggs.
- Cook bacon strips. Drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool.
- Dice tomato.
- Flake crab with a fork.
- Combine peas, crab, and bacon in a bowl. Combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 1/4 tsp of onion powder in a separate small bowl. Fold into the crab mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- When ready to serve, fold tomato into salad. Slice hard-boiled eggs. Place on top of salad. Sprinkle salad with a handful of croutons and then a few pinches of paprika.
Marshmallow Fruit Salad
I made this salad for a Valentine’s Day Girls Night.
- 15 oz can of fruit cocktail
- Mini marshmallows
- Cool Whip
- Drain fruit cocktail
- Dice apple
- Combine fruit cocktail, apple, 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows, and 1/2 cup of whipped topping in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
2 oranges or a can of mandarin oranges
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Peel and cube oranges or drain can of mandarin oranges
- Toast 1/4 cup of pecan halves on a greased baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Wash and chop up a few leaf lettuce leaves.
- Flip over the pecan halves and toast 5 more minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup of peach yogurt and 3 Tbsp of mayonnaise.
- Toss together oranges, lettuce, and pecans. Drizzle with dressing immediately before eating.
- Can also use almonds, pistachios, or sunflower kernels instead of pecans
- Grapefruit, kiwi, apples, or grapes instead of oranges
- Orange yogurt instead of peach yogurt
- Plain yogurt with marmalade instead of peach yogurt
- Add chicken salad or grilled chicken on top to make it a complete meal!
16 oz pkg of medium shell pasta
16 oz pkg of frozen peas
Ranch salad dressing
- Thaw peas
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, halve and slice cucumber and chop red onion.
- Drain and rinse pasta in cold water. In a large bowl, combine pasta, peas, cucumber, and onion. Add 1 cup of ranch salad dressing. Toss to coast. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
1 1/2 lbs strawberries
2 14 oz cans of pineapple chunks
Pouch of strawberry glaze (apparently this also comes in a jar, but I’ve never seen it that way)
- Quarter strawberries
- Slice bananas
- Drain pineapple cans
- Gently toss fruit in a long bowl.
- Prepare strawberry glaze according to package directions. I buy the one from MPK Foods so I mix with 2/3 cup of sugar and then gradually add a cup of hot water and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Fold glaze in the fruit. Chill for at least an hour.
Finely chop 3 Tbsp of green pepper and 2 Tbsp of onion.
Mince 2 Tbsp of fresh parsley.
Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, green pepper, onion, parsley, and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Great on salad or as a veggie dip!
2 celery ribs
2 garlic cloves
*Either 1 can of pitted ripe ones and 1 jar of stuffed ones or get a variety from the deli section of the grocery store. My favorite combination is to get a combination of black olives, green olives stuffed with blue cheese, and green olives stuffed with jalapenos. Olives stuffed with garlic are good too, but since there is already garlic in this recipe, I usually go with something else. You will need 11 oz of olives total.
- Drain and chop the olives.
- Chop the celery
- Mince the garlic cloves
- Combine olives, celery, and garlic in a bowl. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Combine 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil, and 2 Tbsp of honey in a small bowl. Mix well. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and cool. Slice enough strawberries for 2 cups. Arrange asparagus and strawberries on individual plates. Drizzle with dressing. In other words, keep the dressing separate from the salad until ready to consume.
Pineapple – canned chunks or fresh, depending on price, availability, and time restraints
Honey mustard salad dressing
Slice the bananas. Halve 1 cup of grapes.
Combine bananas, 1 cup of pineapple chunks, and grapes in a bowl. Add 3 Tbsp of honey mustard salad dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
2 cans of black beans
Rinse and drain black beans. Mince 2 Tbsp of fresh parsley. Combine everything in a bowl. Chill for 15 minutes.
I serve this as a side dish to pork fajitas or chicken and rice.
Italian salad dressing
Peel and slice avocados. Cut tomatoes and onion into wedges. Combine avocados, tomatoes, and onion in a bowl. Add 1 cup of Italian salad dressing and stir to coat. Chill for 20-30 minutes. Serve over lettuce.